Emotional lability
I'm used to thinking of myself as a fairly even keel person. However, I seem to be having more ups and downs lately. Not to any great extreme but it got me thinking about it. Up until I started feeling better healthwise I think the primary "emotion" I felt was one of irritation whenever something required my attention. Oh I could be entertained or feel pleased when things go along well. But somehow, I think because my energy was so low, I was just very unexcitable in either direction.
I'm getting more ups and downs and they take me by surprise sometimes. I'm glad the periods of being blue aren't very long lasting - they sort of suck.
I'm getting more ups and downs and they take me by surprise sometimes. I'm glad the periods of being blue aren't very long lasting - they sort of suck.

5 Comments:
It seems like when I am too busy, then I don't have time to have a mood change. I just go anong and try to deal with whatever comes up next in my day. When I have mood shifts it is usually when I have time to think. I think about what I have vs what I want and then the mood shifts begin.
I think what you're saying is that you're feeling better? The blues aren't as long and you're getting more "ups". Emotion is good, feeling "blah" is not - it's interesting how you put it, being unexcitable. I never thought of it that way, but I can relate.
I'm wishing for you lots more ups than downs, and no blahs.
Have a great day, hun.
:)
I think in psych terms it is called flat affect, when someone doesn't respond to normal life events with an appropriate amount of emotion. Its a type of depression - not sad but not really ever happy. I think for me, I was just too tired to really feel much at all most of the time.
Yes, the flat affect was really what I was having when I was in the worst of my recent nosedive...it was a kind of numbness and lack of energy to really respond to life. It seems that for both of us, it was more a physical thing than a mental thing. When you feel bad, it leads to a sort of depression and I think that's what you experienced. Now, you are better and you are experiencing the normal ups and downs of life. That can be disconcerting if you've lived awhile on an even, albiet rather low, keel. I believe our minds have a protective mechanism built in and you probably just couldn't handle dealing with some of the issues you are now dealing with when you were feeling so bad. Now that you are feeling better, you are more to your old self and more in tune with your feelings and also pick up on the stuff around you more. I know I'm not saying anything other than what you have already theorized....but it does continue to amaze me (although it really shouldn't by now) how much being physically ill can alter our mental state to the point where depressed seems normal. Feeling better is like someone turned on the lights....
Yep, I think when we are ill, or even just deficient in things we need, our bodies shut down and only maintain those things that are essential.
I'm feeling pretty good these days actually. At least I'm slowly finding reasons to feel good again.
Post a Comment
<< Home